[Xen-users] network-bridge is never stopped (or Xen stole my MAC address

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] network-bridge is never stopped (or Xen stole my MAC address)
From: Mike Brancato <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 17:39:27 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:36:58 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
What calls the network-script <$script start> and hopefully <$script
stop> commands?  where should (in this case)
'/etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge stop' be called from?

I'm running a pretty plain Ubuntu 7.10 dom0 with the pre-packaged 3.1.0
Xen binaries, etc.  I lose all my networking on a soft or hard reboot.
I have to kill power to the power supply and clear the remaining power
in the capacitors by pressing the power button.  (I'm lazy, I could fix
this with ifconfig, but thats not the issue) Let me explain...

I'm using the default network-bridge script and I have only one physical
eth device, eth0.  This setup works fine for the domUs.

When network-bridge is started...
eth0 is renamed peth0
an interface in dom0 called veth0->eth0 is created and steals the MAC
address of peth0
the interface peth0 gets a MAC of FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF
the interfaces veth1-3 get a MAC of 0
the interfaces vif0.0-3 get a MAC of FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF
the bridge xenbr0 gets a MAC of FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF as well

When a reboot occurs, and xend stop is called from /etc/init.d/xend, the
interfaces stay the same.  So after a soft reboot...

there is no eth0 or eth1
the interfaces veth0-3 all have the MAC 0
the interfaces vif0.0-3 all have the MAC FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF
the interface xenbr0 has the MAC 0

Then after a shutdown -h and manual start by pressing the power
button... everything is the same after a soft reboot, except an eth1
exists now which is REALLY my eth0 renamed to eth1 because its MAC
didn't match the one expected int he persistent udev rules.

dmesg output on cold boot after power loss...
[    6.735615] eth0: RTL8168b/8111b at 0xffffc20000024000,
00:19:db:xx:xx:xx, XID 38000000 IRQ 19
dmesg after soft reboot...
<null> - No hardware ethernet device is found
dmesg after shutdown -h and power button press...
[    6.282439] eth0: RTL8168b/8111b at 0xffffc20000020000,
fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, XID 38000000 IRQ 19

So my current work around is to manually call '/etc/xen/network-bridge
stop' from /etc/init.d/xend during shutdown... and this does work, but
obviously I'm missing something or there is a problem somewhere.  Any clues?

Regards,

--
Mike Brancato, CISSP