Re: [Xen-users] Xen-3.1 on Ubuntu 7.10 keeps crashing

To: "Gémes Géza" <geza@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen-3.1 on Ubuntu 7.10 keeps crashing
From: "Emre Erenoglu" <erenoglu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 00:02:39 +0100
Cc: Pascal Nobus <pascal@xxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 15:03:28 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=E4upM0lVe74+L6MxhAWWFV4dGD8nJhqnSqDt067cFtU=; b=muRWwQI0V8xIXs214R4XlqFl6cablj9ItOvcTSn3KcaQYPKu/swd0OEwlHVVAxHk9s+/sxFelDo3SCICeA9hceNP/uHav1d830m8gHaFAtZ1374pmJ35aTYUnhbW41pVBKsFG19XQ10vHouwf8yTfmnNJfEovqr2mMIqUtZuaaA=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I tried a lot to get Ubuntu 7.10 Xen setup working properly. It DOES NOT work reliably. I don't recommend at all unless there are some updates. I switched to Fedora 8 as my Dom0 OS. This has other problems though (the famous virbr0 virt-lib stuff etc.)

Emre

On Dec 4, 2007 9:44 PM, Gémes Géza <geza@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Pascal Nobus írta:
> After numerous attempts to get Xen up and running, I'm on the edge of
> giving up.
>
> I'm now running Xen-3.1 / Ubuntu-7.10
> When trying to build a DomU I always crash. Tryied it with LVM and also
> the guide at:
> http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu-7.10-server-install-xen-from-ubuntu-repositories
>

> I changed memory-cards but still no results.
> Most of the crashes happen when doing a xen-create-image at debootstrap.
>

> My system:
> Supermicro PDSMI+, with Dual Intel P4
> 2 SATA -disk in software Raid-1
>
> Has anyone made a succesful setup with this sort of hardware?
> Or is Xen-3.1 having problems with software raid?

I have been trying to do something similar to work without success. I've
found out that the problem is in the xen enabled kernel shipped with
Ubuntu. I've submitted a bug report for it, but it still receives a few
messages a month about similar problems. In my case the Dom0 crashed at
any attempt  read/write to/from the disc.

Good Luck!

Geza Gemes

Emre Erenoglu
erenoglu@xxxxxxxxx