[Xen-users] Xen and kernel NAT

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen and kernel NAT
From: "Debunk it" <debunkers@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 07:52:04 -0600
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 05:52:48 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition; bh=HK/WpXmaplnaddjRoeeFG6+ZFv+nuvYsQX6ZZOtTkag=; b=LENG2mYWGHtogqfjAzEItWFEoVCOsieEQCopncCnmPtK9w3LPaIIumT/5TjCUIHyyqCo4Wl58Nc9ptm2VLQhee4zlCgN9i/rG+5j4alVochOEioXr0z9qdh7DAxRcLxj4egzvh8Tn4JrEiMBuShhNXHTCZEMn4gEfPnG5CVUkic=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I'm using my dual homed server not only as a Xen server (currently
with dom0 and dom1) but also as a NAT host. I have an NFS server
attached to eth1 of the Xen server with a crossover cable. Eth0 of the
Xen server has a public IP. I have static assignment for the internal
network (eth1) on the private block 10.1.1.0/24.

My goal is to use the Xen server's dom0 as a NAT host so my NFS server
can access the net (to run debootstrap amongst other things).

NAT'ing works only when I *disable the two bridges* on dom0. I have
two bridges: one on eth0 and the other on eth1. I would like to know
if there are any special PRE/POST routing rules that need to be
inserted before this setup works.

An odd behavior that I've seen is that when I ping an internet host
from the NFS server (10.1.1.0/24) traffic flows out through
Xen.server.eth1 (default gw) and then into vif0.0 (xenbr0's veth0) as
opposed to eth0.

Here are my simple NAT/FRWD rules that only work when the bridges are
brought down:
/sbin/iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth1 -j ACCEPT
/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -o eth0 -j ACCEPT

I appreciate your help on this. I'm running an unmodified Xen kernel
downloaded from xen.org. LMK if you need additional info.

Thanks all.