Re: [Xen-users] Questions on memory allocation

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Questions on memory allocation
From: "Ryan Burke" <burke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 14:19:31 -0500 (CDT)
Delivery-date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:20:16 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Take a look at this:

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2007-03/msg00654.html

It seems to answer what he maxmem config parameter and xm max-mem command
do. I haven't played with the memory allocation of DomU's.

Personally I always though the balloon driver was the fact that you could
allocate all the system's RAM to the Dom0 then as you allocated to other
DomU's it would deflate Dom0's memory accordingly. That way you are
potentially getting use from all your RAM instead of locking Dom0 to a
small slice when it could be using more for better performance. Of course
there always seemed to be issues with people trying to squeeze Dom0 too
small by not giving it a large enough "min-mem" setting.

Ryan