Re: [Xen-users] 3D acceleration

To: Christian Horn <chorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] 3D acceleration
From: Daniel Spies <daniel.spies@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:51:21 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 02:53:11 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:31:35 +0200, Christian Horn <chorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> For directx-apps i see not much in near future with xen. The thing next
> to this is vmware fusion on mac that can run some older directx-version
> in the virtual machine.
> Maybe a windows graphicdriver is technically possible that could do this,
> but again, xen is more serverfocused.

VMWare Fusion has poor performance. I don't know how they do this
reach-through
stuff, but I tried Counter Strike 1.6 (very old for those who don't know
it)
through VMWare (Workstation - same 3D Support as Fusion) and the game has
really
poor performance. No OpenGL at all, and D3D does not work properly.
Software
mode is working, but laggy, slow and ugly. If I remember right they convert

D3D 8 into OpenGL, and are still using a virtual graphics adapter instead
of
reaching it through to the host. This seems with my very basic knowledge
still
a non-performance solution...

Daniel