Re: [Xen-users] 3D acceleration

To: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] 3D acceleration
From: Christian Horn <chorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:31:35 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Daniel Spies <daniel.spies@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 02:32:21 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 06:50:13PM +0100, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> Daniel Spies wrote:
> >
> >What does "at the moment" mean? Is this a planned feature, or even already
> >in development?

Xen is
a) server-focused, so such stuff has no priority
b) but also opensource, so if enough people come together much is
possible ;)

> It's dependent on the  video chipset manufacturers publishing specs,
> such as ATI just did. (Yay, ATI.).

That would be cool, a 3d-driver in dom0 that works without patching, and
a 3d-driver in xorg in the domU that just has an option to communicate
with the one on dom0 to render stuff.

For directx-apps i see not much in near future with xen. The thing next
to this is vmware fusion on mac that can run some older directx-version
in the virtual machine.
Maybe a windows graphicdriver is technically possible that could do this,
but again, xen is more serverfocused.

Christian