Re: [Xen-users] XEN write speed

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XEN write speed
From: Tony Hoyle <tmh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 19:20:01 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 11:18:20 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=simple/simple; d=nodomain.org; s=mail; t=1182449998; bh=98impaeOszP0CB6En66xfebl6UYxrI+HngkqP55PY60=; h=DomainKey-Signature:X-Virus-Scanned:Received:Received:Message-ID: Date:From:User-Agent:X-Accept-Language:MIME-Version:To:Subject: References:In-Reply-To:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=P L6yKJLPcfzdN2O1M2mXaQB9yjdD5xePU7k0IJFkpkqLbT8uzwrDuKnVgdj6WdLkwFZF g8TXNV4sz0q3jqh3AGOxrr4uRInVq4pjaVEWWDLJOHcn+xleC5HRGqRhGCLDjUHN27L RXjAkcvkQeQtiTCWA6VZJDnY9flL+ycac0fY=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
James Wilson wrote:
Looking for some advice on write speed. I currently have my domU's installed to 8GB files on a GFS file system. When I create these
domU's and try to write to them the speed is horrible something that
should take 10 seconds takes about 2 minutes. Is there any way to
speed up the write speed for this configuration? Here is what my .cfg
file looks like.

If you can at all arrange it give dom0 its own CPU - even if that means
making all the domUs single threaded.  It makes a massive difference to
throughput.

domU performance never seems to reach dom0 speeds, but it's acceptable enough... loopback performance is the best (but that's caching in memory on dom0 so what you gain in speed you lose in potential integrity if there's a hardware crash). lvm performance varies between 10% and 50% of native in my experience.

I've never been able to do anything about network performance though.. topping about at about 5mb/sec. If that's important to you use a dedicated machine or vmware (possibly xen commercial, which may have optimised network drivers).

Tony