Re: [Xen-users] Grub & kernel panics

Martin,

Thank you for your reply.

> You should be able to boot with the version of 2.6.18 that
> is shipped with the rest of Xen though, as long as you get your initrd
> right.  What kernel are you trying to boot from at the moment?  The
> kernel that shipped with FC6 (if so, which one?), or the kernel included
> with the Xen tarball?

I'm using the kernel shipped with fc6. Which is 2.6.18-1. When I don't include
this kernel, the Xen build will try and download the kernel which is nog
possible in my case because the servers are not connected to the Internet yet.
As far as I know the tarball (source) has no kernel included.

> I've experienced panics at that point before as well.  I've used
> noreboot at the end of the module line that has the dom0 kernel on to
> stop the reboot.

The 'noreboot' option works. The panic is because the sda1 device cannot be
found.

> Not sure about logging it to a file, obviously it
> couldn't write to anywhere on the root file system (it can't find it),
> so it'd have to be written to the boot file system, which I think is
> mounted read-only, so I really don't know if it could be done.  You
> could try capturing it over a serial line I suppose.

I figured that myself as well.. it was just a question. Maybe somehow it is
possible. Forget about this question please.

> I'd say your best bet is to try recreating your initrd for the xenified
> kernel, and make sure you've got everything you need to boot in it. If
> you've been trying to boot with Xen + a non-Xenified kernel, then it's
> not going to work. You may be able to get away with FC6's kernel-xen
> package (obviously built around Xen 3.0.3, so I don't know if it'll work
>  brilliantly with Xen 3.1), personally I'd download the binary tarball
> from the xen site and give the kernel in there a shot.  I'm using that
> tarball on CentOS 5, and it's working fine.

Ok. Thank you. I will try that.

Regards,
Rob