RE: [Xen-users] howto build xen from source with existing config?

To: "Philippe Trolliet" <p.trolliet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ian Tobin" <itobin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Xen-Users" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] howto build xen from source with existing config?
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 12:45:18 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 25 May 2007 03:43:56 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The people at redhat (etc) spend many manhours porting the Xen sparse-tree and
patches to match the new kernel (the sparse-tree contains complete files that
replace the existing files in the linux-2.6.X-xen tree. So for example, in the
baremetal version of Linux, there is a bar.c, and in the sparse-tree there is a
bar-xen.c, which gets copied into the linux-...-xen tree. In the build of the
linux-xen version, the last part of the build-process will pick the -xen files
instead of the non-xen version.

Since the new linux kernel is possibly quite different inside the bar.c, it
also needs the corresponding changes in the bar-xen.c. Depending on how bar.c
has changed, this may be rather trivial (add/remove a couple of simple lines,
change the type of a variable or some such), but it can also be quite
complicated because the internal workings may have changed.

It's not just a case of copying the config file, from one version to another,
it is all the changes in the sparse-tree (or in the linux-2.6.X-xen tree) that
makes it complex.

--
Mats