RE: [Xen-users] howto build xen from source with existing config?

To: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>, "Xen-Users" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] howto build xen from source with existing config?
From: "Philippe Trolliet" <p.trolliet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 12:25:02 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 25 May 2007 03:23:23 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ok. i want to use 2.6.20 config for a 2.6.20 kernel.
i would never use a 2.6.18 config for a 2.6.20 kernel or vice versa.
but how and where can i tell the compile process to use the config?
i searched the diferent makefiles...

> > i searched the net and haven´t found any howto to build xen
> > from source with
> > newer kernel versions and existing config files.
>
> As stated in a post yesterday, the best way to achieve this is to
> wait for one of the distributors to do the hard work of figuring
> out how to adopt the kernel patches from Xen into the next
> version of the kernel - because that's what you'll have to do.
>
> However, if you want to go with the current FC6 Dom0 kernel, and
> use the new 3.1 tools and Xen Hypervisor, that should work ok.

i want to change from the fedora core 6 xen 3.0.3 version to 3.1 because the
hypervisor crashed. first the domU crashed when i tried to compile postfix
in it. but not just when i was compiling. then the dom0 crashed and i had to
turn off the machine to restart it. i got the message: "BUG: soft lockup
detected on cpu#0" with a stack trace. i posted the error on bugzilla. i´m
not the only one with that problem.

do you mean that it´s better to use the standard way for xen? (download xen
source and just execute make world. then use the 2.6.18 kernel builded by
xen 3.1.)

i´ll just try that and let´s hope that it works... in case that it wouldn´t,
i have to change back to FC4.

regards
philippe