Re: [Xen-users] LVM?

> I'm just starting with XEN and I've few basic questions.
> My last goal is build a system with dom0 CentOS-based and domU
> CentOS-based too.
>
> So...
>
> 1) ¿Is LVM filesystem managment recommended? The CentOS partitioner uses
> LVM by default, but I can disable it manually. ¿Offers LVM any
> advantatge over tradictional partition system?

LVM is more flexible - you can easily create a new logical volume for each
guest's virtual disk.  You can distribute guest disks across multiple
physical volumes, etc etc.  Good stuff for management and it should perform
well too.

Running LVM in the guests isn't really that useful, though and makes it harder
to access guest filesystem contents from dom0.  I'd suggest you just use LVM
on the host.

Using normal files as the backing storage for guests is good for playing
around.  Use tap:aio rather than file: mode to access this storage is
preferred - tap tackles some unpleasant problems with the file: mode which
uses the loop-device (nb. I'm talking about paravirt domains, things are a
little different for HVM domains).

LVM is probably the best storage solution for a production machine, unless you
decide to use a SAN or something like that...

> 2) Same question about SELinux.

I think RHEL / CentOS 5 has an SELinux setup that's designed to work OK with
Xen.  If you use file-backed images you have to put them in a specific
directory or it'll complain.  I don't know how SELinux would interact with
LVM-based volumes, though.

I'm not sure how useful SELinux is for a Xen dom0 because I'm not sure what
RHEL / CentOS put in their default config.  You could use it for confining
other services, but you shouldn't really be running services in dom0
anyhow...

Running SELinux in guests has all the same benefits of running it on a native
machine though, so you should definitely consider that if it fits your
usecase.

HTH,
Cheers,
Mark