Re: [Xen-users] NetBSD as DomU in an Gentoo amd64bit host

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] NetBSD as DomU in an Gentoo amd64bit host
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 02:10:39 +0100
Cc: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>, Juergen Schinker <ba1020@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 07 May 2007 18:09:19 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6"
> > #kernel = "/games/xen/netbsd/netbsd-INSTALL_XEN3_DOMU"
> > memory = 128
> > name = "netbsd"
> > disk
> > =['phy:/dev/sda1,0x03,w','file:/games/xen/netbsd/amd64cd-3.1.i
> > so,0x04,r' ]
> > #disk = [ 'tap:aio:/games/xen/netbsd/amd64cd-3.1.iso,0x04,r' ]
> > vif = [ 'bridge=xenbr0' ]
> > root = "/dev/sd0a ro"
> >

> > and i come to this
> >
> > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> > unknown-block(1,0)
> >
> > what is wrong?
>
> This is because you're trying to boot Para-virtual Linux on a device
> called "/dev/sd0a", which you haven't got according to your "disk=" line
> (you have "0x03" and "0x04")...
>
> But that's got nothing to do with the netbsd, of course.

Juergen, what error do you get if you comment out the kernel
= "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6" and uncomment the netbsd-INSTALL_XEN3_DOMU line?

> Is that a NetBSD install CD? In that case, you'll need to use HVM (full
> virtualization), which requires a processor with AMD-V (SVM) to start
> off.

Actually, you don't need HVM in this case: the NetBSD install kernel image for
Xen 3 can ferret around in the ISO filesystem using the paravirtualised VBD
and extract all the necessary stuff.  I did it a few months ago - it's
actually quite impressive that the install (more or less) Just Works like
this.

> You also need some modifications to the config file (look at
> /etc/xen/xmexample.hvm for a base-config), and you probably want to add
> ":cdrom" after "0x04" on your disk-line to make QEMU-DM aware of it
> being a CDROM rather than a hard-disk.

I assume he's using hex numbers to identify NetBSD device nodes.  I'm not
actually sure this is necessary, though - the howto I found didn't do this.
I think the netbsd port *might* just use the ordering of devices in the
disks= list to identify what device they are, not the VBD id number (I could
be wrong here).

Juergen: this should be doable, I've done it so I know it ought to work.  Keep
trying!

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.