Re: [Xen-users] How to make network storage high available?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How to make network storage high available?
From: Matthew Wild <M.Wild@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:03:20 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 08:02:47 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tuesday 27 March 2007 07:07, Dominik Klein wrote:
> > A question about this interesting topic. Is really nedded a cluster aware
> > volume manager?
>
> No.
>
> > I'm asking this because I'm thinking in a scenario where
> > two Dom0's access a shared iSCSI disk and the DomU migrates from one Dom0
> > to the other one. Do I need a cluster aware filesystem or volume manager
> > in that iSCSI shared disk? It would be needed if in the migration process
> > the DomU is executed in both Dom0 at the same time, but I'm not sure
> > about this.
>
> It is not needed. A shared iSCSI disk (with the same name in both dom0s)
> is okay.

This is how we have set things up. Nominally I have two storage servers
connected with drbd, sharing lvm2 volumes through iscsitarget and multiple
xen dom0 boxes. Each dom0 box connects to the storage box using iSCSI with
consistent naming of the devices from udev.

Then run reiserfs, swap, etc on these partitioned devices, and live migration
works a treat. No need for anything cluster aware so far.

Regards

Matthew
--
Matthew Wild                       Tel.: +44 (0)1235 445173
M.Wild@xxxxxxxx                    URL http://www.ukssdc.ac.uk/