Re: [Xen-users] How to make network storage high available?

To: "Javier Guerra" <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How to make network storage high available?
From: "Angel Lopez" <angel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 23:33:38 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 14:32:42 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> > Unless I really missed something, though, you're going to need ocfs2
>> or
>> > gfs2 if you're looking to do live migration of xen machines from one
>> > host to another...
>>
>> As only one xen host accesses the iscsi-target at a time, it is
>> sufficient to use a standard journaling file system like ext3, xfs or
>> reiserfs.
>
> right, as long as the same volumes are visible from all Dom0's (using CLVM
> or
> EVMS-ha), the migrated domU would pick it from the new box.  at this time,
> the original DomU is already suspended, so it wouldn't be mounted from two
> kernels at any moment.

A question about this interesting topic. Is really nedded a cluster aware
volume manager? I'm asking this because I'm thinking in a scenario where
two Dom0's access a shared iSCSI disk and the DomU migrates from one Dom0
to the other one. Do I need a cluster aware filesystem or volume manager
in that iSCSI shared disk? It would be needed if in the migration process
the DomU is executed in both Dom0 at the same time, but I'm not sure about
this.

Thanks.