Re: [Xen-users] Building a xen Dom0 kernel for a very, very recent kerne

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Building a xen Dom0 kernel for a very, very recent kernel branch
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 19:31:18 +0100
Cc: "Marlier, Ian" <ian.marlier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:28:23 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> This is mostly a request for a pointer to docs, I guess, since I haven't
> had much luck finding any on my own that have been helpful...
>
> I'm working on configuring a new machine to run Xen, but have found
> myself needing to use the 2.6.21 kernel tree because of some bugfixes
> that are only available there (as of 2.6.21-rc3).
>
> But, I'm having some trouble figuring out how to build my own xenified
> kernel; I downloaded the 3.0.4 source release, and that seems quite
> insistent that I should be using the 2.6.16 kernel...
>
> Can anyone point me to docs that might have more detail about how to
> build a xen kernel for a very recent kernel branch?

It's highly non-trivial to do...

Thoughts:

if you only need domU support, the two most straightforward options are -
 * run it in an HVM guest if you have hardware that supports it
 * try out the paravirt_ops patchset jeremy fitzhardinge has been posting to
LKML, which should be pretty close to applying cleanly with the latest 2.6.21
code (can't remember which rc patch it was most recently based against)

Depending on the fix you wanted, maybe you could backport that to a
Xen-supported kernel if it's not too complicated?  Likely to be easier than
trying to forward port Xen dom0 support to 2.6.21!

Cheers,
Mrak

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!