Re: [Xen-users] Export /dev/lp0 as VBD?

Tim Post wrote:
> try a mknod /dev/lp0 c 6 0 (or just mknod lp0 c 6 0 ) while in /dev
>
> It looks like your going to have to set up the device, but if the module
> is loading ok, it could work.
>
> May want to double check the major / minor on that, going from memory
> the last time I had to create it.

You remembered right :-)

I am a few steps further but not quite there yet. The mknod did create
/dev/lp0. When I ran "printconf" after that, it recognised a HP DeskJet
842c on the parallel port (close enough -- it's an 840 in reality). I
don;t know how cups/printconf detects their printers but to me this
looks like good communication over the parallel port. lpstat -p says:

printer deskjet_842c is idle.  enabled since Thu 22 Mar 2007 12:39:29 AM UTC

However, when I try to print something and run lpstat again to it I get:

printer deskjet_842c disabled since Thu 22 Mar 2007 12:24:40 AM UTC -
        /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel failed

Now, I should say that the ink warning light is flickering on the
printer. There's black ink I think, but no more color ink.mI'm going to
get some fresh cartriges tomorrow. I don't know that well how cups
works, but can the lack of ink cause the "parallel failed" message?

Almost there! Kind regards,

--
Sander Marechal
http://www.jejik.com