Re: [Xen-users] dom0 networking disabled

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 18:57 -0500, kbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I installed Debian Etch and the Xen (3.03) kernels / binaries on a Dell
> server. It works fantastic with all the default configurations with one
> strange flaw - as soon as the /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge script runs,
> dom0 loses all network connectivity. It is no longer possible to ping in
> or out of the IP for the machine, and it throws no errors, just sits on a
> blinking prompt.

Another poster suggested taking network-bridge out of the equation which
I really also recommend on any Debian based system.

I also recommend adding :

bridge_fd 0
bridge_maxwait 0
bridge_helo 0

.. just prior to :

bridge_ports

To specifically tell the bridge that you don't want a forward delay or
wait. I'm not sure what brctl's defaults are so I always specify it.
Probably also good practice to implicitly turn off stp, too.

However, this also means that your system will always start with a
promiscuous bridge as its primary network device. If this isn't a full
time Xen machine with a Ft Knox 'ghost town' dom-0, you may want
network-bridge to work.

If you post the contents of your /etc/network/interfaces, I think the
list could help you quickly. There seems to be nothing wrong with
anything you posted so far (that I saw), so if there is an obvious issue
its going to be in interfaces.

Otherwise, its probably easier to just let Debian handle the bridging.
Best,
--Tim