Re: [Xen-users] Strange Networking Issue

On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 03:18:18PM -0500, Jonathon Jones wrote:
> Ok, Here is what my provider told me...
>
> ------------------------
> Hello Jon,
> Sorry for the confusion caused.
> In order to set up a VPS server you need to set up a different gateway
> other than the gateway xxx.xxx.153.177.
> The set up should be done in the following manner.
> The first IP i.e xxx.xxx.154.240 should be the network address.
> The second IP xxx.xxx.154.241 should be the gateway address
> and the last IP the broadcast IP xxx.xxx.154.247. So in the process you
> will loose your 3 IP's.
> These settings need to be done at your end. Do let us know once this is
> set up so that we can re-route your Virtual IP's through the VLAN.
> ------------------------
>
> So are they assuming that I have a routed setup or something?  Is this
> logical to you guys?  What I don't get is that currently .240 and .244
> (the primary IP's for the Dom1 and Dom2) are working just fine int he
> current setup.  This seems to debunk their claim to me.
>
> Your thoughts?

Okay, this explains some things. However, it's still doesn't clear
everything up.

It sounds like at the moment they are treating each of your 8 addresses
as host addresses (probably in a /22 block). Question: If you add each
of theses 8 addresses to eth1 on Dom0 like:

    ip addr add xxx.xxx.154.240/22 dev eth1

can you ping each address?

If you can, then you should be able to use a bridging setup on Dom0 and
keep all 8 addresses.

If not, then you'll have to set up things the way they say. However,
it's not 100% clear that they want you to set up your own router. It
certainly looks like this is what they want, but you might want to check
whether .241 is to be a router configured by you or their router. In my
experience there are two types of hosting provider: those that give you
a /29 and keep an address for their own router, and those that give you
the whole block and then expect you to set up a router. I'd say it's best
just to ask them: "do you want me to configure my own router with an
address of xxx.xxx.154.241" - or something like that. Be as obvious as
you can.

jez