RE: [Xen-users] Another begginer

To: "Gilberto Martins" <gsilva.martins@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Another begginer
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 16:25:24 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 07:27:38 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That probably depends quite a bit on what you actually want to do with
your Dom0 - for example, what type of access are you planning for disks
- disks directly attached to the machine itself, or "Network Attached
Storage" - if the latter, does your choice work well with this solution?
[I don't know the answer to that for any OS, as I'm using only local
disks in my test-setups - I work on the HVM part of the hypervisor, not
disk-access at the Dom0 level!].

> One more question: The host OS needs a graphic interface ? Or all of
> the guest OSeses will have their own ?

Yes, no and maybe... It's not necessary to have X running on the
machine, but you _WILL_ need some way of using the guest of course. Some
of my test-guests only use the (serial) console output, but if you for
example want to use Windows as a guest, it's much harder to get away
with "simple" interfaces. PV guests being Linux and other variants of
Unix will be perfectly happy to be accessed via SSH and similar.

Finally, in my setup, I use SDL over SSH with X-windows forwarding - so
the display of my Xen-guest is displayed on a different machine than
where it runs - it works just fine. So I can run MS Windows on machine
"svm" and view it on machine "devel" - I like that because I can have
all my development windows visible at the same time as I look at what
the guest is doing, rather than switching back and forth across the
machines.

--
Mats