RE: [Xen-users] Why I have to do first "make world && make install"

To: "kanour-xen" <xen@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Why I have to do first "make world && make install"
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 11:49:15 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 02:49:01 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"make world" [which is a short form of "make clean && make all"] will in
itself compile the Dom0 and DomU kernels, which makes me wonder if
you're asking for something other than what your question actually
says???

"make install" copies the binaries produced by "make world" (or "make
all"), and it's DEFINITELY not necessary to be able to compile your DomU
or Dom0 kernel.

Having said all that, the make-scripts may have changed in the last few
iterations of Xen, such that something that was either necessary before
isn't any longer, or such that something that worked before now requires
additional steps before the operation can be performed. These changes
may be necessary to make something else work, or unwanted side-effects
of some change. Since I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, I'm not sure
if this is part of your question - I'm just covering my ass... ;-)

--
Mats