Re: [Xen-users] Newbie trying to understand how to get Xen working

To: Michael Wineland <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Newbie trying to understand how to get Xen working
From: Michael Watters <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 08:30:11 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 10:22:43 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Michael Wineland wrote:
First off I apologize for the stupidity of my questions here, I am a linux newbie and i've been reading forums till my head hurts and I just dont get it.

I am trying to get Xen working with ubuntu server 6.10 64bit, on a dual dualcore xeon system with 4gb ram. I got it successfully installed, so sudo xm list shows Domain-0. But i dont understand how i am supposed to install the other OS's (DomU??) All the guides i have found talk about creating an image file, bootstrapping from a link yada yada,

i guess my actual question is, is it possible to install the different OS's off of their install CD's? to actual hard drive partitions? and what do i need to do to accomplish that? I am very new to linux so be gentle please :-D

If you're using ubuntu you don't need to install from CD, you can use debootstrap to set up the OS. For yum based distros you can do the same thing yum --chroot /mnt/sysimage, for example.

If you need more help I'm also on the GLLUG list.