RE: [Xen-users] Paravirtualised drivers Novell & Intel available

To: "Tijl Van den Broeck" <subspawn@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Paravirtualised drivers Novell & Intel available
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 11:18:25 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 10:17:20 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There may be a slight problem in that you need the Windows DDK to build
drivers for Windows, and that's probably going to prevent any GPL.

Ok, so it's technically possible to reverse-engineer the Windows API and
make your own driver header-files, but then you'd have to:
1. Support those reverse-engineered files for the foreseeable future,
including changes in the Windows API.
2. Take the risk that MS decides that what was done was not legal and
fight MS in court for the next decade (or until money runs out, which is
likely to happen before said time in case of a small company).

[Be aware that I'm NOT A LAWYER - what I say is just my best
understanding of the situation, not a legal statement as such].

--
Mats