Re: [Xen-users] RE: RE: RE: can XEN be extended ?

On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 08:18 -0800, anant wrote:
> Well i have got a running system with openWBEM and xen enabled. Now i
> was
> just wondering if i include the additional driver to xen environment
> then

"Xen environment" is vague.  Do you mean the host environment (dom0) or
guest environment (domU)?

> would i be able to retrieve that info via openWBEM/CIM(its same like
> WMI in
> windows)
>
> At the same time i am also confused whether openWBEM gives real
> hardware
> info or it gives virtual info.
> I guess its nt a right place to ask openWBEM question here so i wont
> go in
> much details...

There is no point in monitoring things like fan speed on a virtual
machine because things like fans don't exist in a virtual machine.  If
you want do do *real* hardware monitoring then you should do so on the
host for which, as many replies have said, you can use the *normal*
Linux drivers and utilities for.  There's nothing special about
monitoring a Xen host as there is any other Linux machine.

Things you can/should monitor on a guest include disk utilization,
processes, network interfaces, etc, but bare-metal hardware monitoring
on a VM doesn't make much sense.