Re: [Xen-users] Any luck with Matrox g550 and xen

To: Andrew McGregor <andy@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Any luck with Matrox g550 and xen
From: Reijo Korhonen <reijo.korhonen@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 02:16:25 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 01:58:44 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 10:49 +0000, Andrew McGregor wrote:
> I somehow sent this to the bounce alias instead of the list alias.
>

> Andrew McGregor wrote:
> >
> > I had a similar problem with FC which made me think it was just a kernel
> > module that shouldn't of been there (for our config).  So it probably
> > isn't am issue with Xen as such, but more of a config that unfortunately
> > clashes.
> >
> > I've had a blissfull couple of weeks use with each client having their
> > own VM .. until a recent Etch apt-update .. now I get the blank screen
> > again.
> >
> > As I've mostly been working away from home recently and my laptop has a
> > painfully slow XP + vmware, so I haven't had the opportunity to fix the
> > display.
> >
> > However, you could try one of these:
> >
> > You might find that X is starting - but you have the wrong screen
> > resolution and/or dirvers.  Try deleting /etc/X11/x11.conf to see if X
> > will auto-detect anything, albeit you might find a very shoddy config.

I rename /etc/X11/xorg.conf and run in xen-kernel 'X -configure'. My
screen got blank, but new /etc/X11/xorg.conf was not created. Reason can
be found from attachment xen-kernel-X-configure-Xorg.0.log, which
is /var/log/Xorg.0.log of that run. This log is much similar than log
xen-kernel-Xorg.0.log, which is got with /etc/X11/xorg.conf when I run
in xen-kernel startx.

If you study these log, you find out that in xen kernel log last action
is

(II) Loading sub module "int10"
(II) LoadModule: "int10"(II) Switching to x86 real mode emulator
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libintxen.so
(II) Module intxen: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 1.0
(II) MGA(0): initializing int10

So it seems that intxen is Xen module and X loads it and tries to use
it. If we look non-xen Xorg.0.log as attachment non-xen-kernel-
Xorg.0.log in same place there is

(II) Loading sub module "int10"
(II) LoadModule: "int10"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libint10.so
(II) Module int10: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 1.0
(II) MGA(0): initializing int10
(II) MGA(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
(II) MGA(0): VESA BIOS detected
(II) MGA(0): VESA VBE Version 3.0
(II) MGA(0): VESA VBE Total Mem: 32768 kB
(II) MGA(0): VESA VBE OEM: Matrox Graphics Inc.

In non-xen kernel loaded "int10" module is different and it does not
loop, but recognizes my Matrox g550 OK.

> > You could also try editing the config to set the default res to 800x600.
> >
> > Assuming the box is booting you might find it easier to SSH in from
> > another box to save editing blind.
> >
> > Let me know which you try and if any work as I will need to take a look
> > at mine sometime soon.
> >
> > Can you send me a link to the src for the matrox driver are you using?

Where I get this? I use last official FC6 updates.

But my guess is that problem is with
module /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libintxen.so. What is this module. Does it
come from xen or from X? If this is the problem, to what organisation
should I report this error, xen or Xorg?

--
Reijo Korhonen