Re: [Xen-users] x11 required by xen? seems no, but...

On Thursday 11 January 2007 18:09, Henning Sprang wrote:
> Don't understand what this bug report about gentoo people naghging the
> developers to get newer versions faster has to do with your problem
> below - please don't post so many unneccessary information. Thanks.

well, if i won't write it, the question will be:
"did you use the binary or you have compiled it from source?"

IMHO, it IS relevant.
infact...

> > Checking check_x11_devel:
> >  *** Check for x11 headers FAILED
>
> Seems like the gentoo ebuild has an error because it hasn't the right
> dependencies :)

you see...

> > this is the check:
> > http://lxr.xensource.com/lxr/source/tools/check/check_x11_devel
> >
> > as you can see, there is no "if i must compile X, than".
> > it is a do or die.
> >
> > but, chmodding it to 644, the compilation is ok.
>
> You chmod what?

in README in that directory:
[...]
The chk script ***runs executable files*** in this directory whose
names begin with 'check_'. Files containing CHECK-BUILD
are run for the build check, and files containing CHECK-INSTALL
are run for the install check.
[...]

> Probably, that way, your compile is O.K., but aou will be lacking some
> features. In previous versions, some features were just silently left ou
> when not having the dependencies,(which were nowhere dosucmented)

in 3.0.4 is not "so silent", but almost.
the header of "check_sdl":
---
#!/bin/sh
# CHECK-BUILD CHECK-INSTALL

if [ ! "$XENFB_TOOLS" = "y" ]
then
    echo -n "unused, "
    exit 0
fi
---

you see, there is an option.

> Now, the developers seem to get started doing better dependency
> checks, but I agree that they are still on their way, maybe half
> through.

that can be.

[...]
> it's said you don't need X, but hte libs are required, and
> you can even make it to build without it.

but, it is an header.
without an header, AFAIK, if there is not a check in makefile (or somethink
like that) make will fail.

so, it is not a matter of feature (that, as you wrote, a configure can
resolve), but a matter of dependencies.

> Must have something to do with the possibilities of a framebuffer GUI
> for domU's, or the hvm graphical console support - ask on xen-devel
> for details.

dunno about hvm (i'm going to ask), for sure not framebuffer for domu
(disabled).

bye
d.