[Xen-users] Using CD drives with Xen 3.0.3 on CentOS 4.4

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Using CD drives with Xen 3.0.3 on CentOS 4.4
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 13:40:32 +0000
Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 05:39:20 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'd like to be able to use a CD drive on the Dom0 to be accessible on the DomU systems. I do see some notes involving cdrom drives in the Xen 3.1 Enterprise notes, and in the VT notes, but not for systems without that on-board virtualization feature. And the syntax of the cdrom command options are documented nowhere in 3.0.3.

I found completely useless notes at http://www.xensource.com/support/3.1/xenserver-userguide.html. Unfortunately, the Xen 3.0.3 RPM's for RHEL4 and which seem quite usable for CentOS 4.4 do not include even the manual pages of the documentation, not even the manual pages or HTML docs, and attempting to build them from the SRPM fails miserably. Note that the Fedora SRPM's seem to have fixed this: bad RPM's hurt your credibility in the developer's world, folks, as badly as poor documentation! Unfortunately, the Fedora RPM's have a whole plethora of requirements not easily available on RHEL 4.x or CentOS 4.x.

The samples in the xmexample.hvm and xmexample.vti files seem to be unhelpful as well. Using the same kernel as Dom0, or the DomU kernel, I'm simply not seeing the /dev/hdb or /dev/cdrom entry for the CD drive, and it's not showing up in /proc on the DomU at all.

Has anyone else been through this with a non-virtualized CPU as well, or with Xen 3.0.3, not the enterprise version?