Re: [Xen-users] HVM domU vcpus ignored

To: Mark Menard <mark@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] HVM domU vcpus ignored
From: Tim Post <tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:16:25 +0800
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 18:16:50 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 2006-12-15 at 11:48 -0500, Mark Menard wrote:
> While reading http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenRoadMap I found the
> following quote: "The current HVM code only stably supports uniprocessor
> guests, though work is underway to robustify SMP guest support."
>
> Could this be why I only see one processor in my HVM guests? Is it turned
> off by default someplace? I followed Mats directions and searched
> /tools/firmware and didn't find anything obvious for enabling multiple
> vcpus.

Keep in mind that any tinkering you do above and beyond what the Xen
team has pronounced stable .. well, isn't stable :) It is encouraged
that you DO tinker , and should .. and share your experiences. It sounds
like you are ready and willing to dig in and get dirty, which is great!

Just don't trust anything important to modified firmware. Just like you
wouldn't run anything vital on an untested overclocked system. Tinkering
there can produce odd effects :) That being said its important that
trial, error and success get documented in the list .. so please share
your research with the list.

> Any information would be greatly appreciated. If HVM is only uni-processor,
> that's fine. I can live with that. (Hey, it'll make me look harder at
> paravirtualization.) I'd just like to know.

Unless you need to virtualize something that simply will not work with
the Xen 2.6 kernel, I'd really recommend working with paravirtualized
guests for production stuff. HVM will get there soon, no doubt .. just
not quite yet.

Realize that HVM requires newer hardware that only a small percentage of
this list has access to .. so you'll also find the support for it a
little slower than you would otherwise.

> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Best,