Re: [Xen-users] para virtualised and full virtualised

To: anant <ANigam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] para virtualised and full virtualised
From: Grok Mogger <linuximp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 11:49:15 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 08:49:25 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
anant wrote:
Thanks all of u for replying,
So you mean its possible to have windows OS running over paravirtualised
system by using qemu

You can TRY that... but keep in mind that Javier Guerra indicated that it won't work very well.

"this should work, but it's well known that the kqemu extension doesn't work on top of Xen; therefore qemu runs on "full emulation mode" _VERY_SLOW_"

i have installed fedora core 6 with xen 3.0.3, and as i have already told
its para virtualised. I am going to install suse linux enterprise over it. Is there anything i should keep in mind before installing it and what is the
way to install guest os(linux) over xen(i guess, its not possible to install
it using cd).....
thanks

I was using Xen on Debian and I installed my Guest OS by using debootstrap. If you have that available, that was by far the best method I found for installing a Guest OS. I really have no idea if that program is a Debian thing or if it's common to all Linux distributions. (Anyone want to answer that...?)

I think you can also install a Guest OS off a CD as normal. In fact, I kind of recall that being mentioned as a possibility in the Xen manual. But you'd probably have to be very careful... I'd imagine most install CD's will probably want to repartition your hard drive and take over your system.

- GM