RE: [Xen-users] Linux tree with stable patches applied

To: "Jaume Sabater" <jsabater@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Linux tree with stable patches applied
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:11:48 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 08:13:56 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes, that's because no "work" is done on anything but the unstable tree.
So if you want the latest version, you'd better get the latest version.

It's worth keeping in mind that XenSource isn't really a distributor of
Linux kernel's, they supply a patch to the kernel with their
source-code, and a means to download the official kernel. Once the
release is done, it's up to each consumer to update that kernel to the
latest if they so wish - with the ideal model being that you use some
official distro as your installation source unless you're a
Xen/Linux-kernel hacker, and thus you get your pre-compiled kernel and
Xen-hypervisor from SuSE, Redhat, Debian etc. The "released" versions of
Xen is as much for the release to distributor consumers as it is to
release a version to individual consumers.

With distributions today having Xen 3.0.2, I'd expect new versions
containing 3.0.3 to be made available soon-ish.

> Since you mentioned, will the kernel version 2.6.16.29 be the
> official
> kernel used for the new 3.0.3 stable version, when it's released?

Yes, that would be the one, to the best of my belief - bear in mind that
although I work WITH Xen, I'm by no means an official spokesperson for
XenSource, so there's some element of uncertainty in that statement.

Btw, it's also probably worth pointing out that the current "unstable"
should be fairly stable, as the patches going into it are mainly small
improvements, and nothing "earth-shattering" - so it's pretty close to
being the 3.0.3 source right now...

--
Mats