[Xen-users] LVM backups, backup data not consistent?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] LVM backups, backup data not consistent?
From: Fabian Holler <fho@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 12:07:10 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 03:06:51 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I read much about that LVM snapshot are the ideal way to backup XEN VMs.
But I'm not sure if the data in the snapshot will be really consistent.

AFAIK when i take the snapshot from dom0, the data on domU isn't synced
to harddisk.
Maybe not all data was written to the harddrive and still stay in the
RAM. When a file wasn't wrote completly to disk, the snapshot will
contain a corrupt file.
Maybe this is a important data file for an server application, and the
backuped data is corrupted then?
Am I completly wrong? When not what will be a better backup strategy to
ensure data consistency?

greetings

Fabian