Re: [Xen-users] HA Xen on 2 servers!! No NFS, special hardware, DRBD or

To: Michael Paesold <mpaesold@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] HA Xen on 2 servers!! No NFS, special hardware, DRBD or iSCSI...
From: Tim Post <tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 21:38:02 +0800
Cc: chris@xxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 06:38:57 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've tried this a few ways, and found there is really no "good" way that
fits every need that I found. This is, for lack of a better phrase , a
pain in the ass.

You can do it similar to how it was described if using a san, you form
and break the md raid on the san triggered via [ insert favorite
interconnect method here ]. That's tricky, and if not timed right
creates issues. I've gotten this working with iscsi in the past, but
I've also run into major meltdowns.

You can also use something like gfs, but if you have high performance
I/O needs, well.. it can hinder things a bit.

You also need to take into consideration the power going out at the
worst possible time, and what would happen if it did [meltdown,
usually].

Your best bet (for now) is to use something like Open SSI with 2.0.7
(paravirtualized) , or 3.0.2 with open SSI as a hvm if you want a true
HA setup to get it rolled out quick and avoid (many) 3 AM phone calls,
unless this is also a learning and tinkering experience for you.

Open SSI is very easy to get going, and does a very good job. Xen lends
even more management and much faster boot / recovery to the setup. You
can then just migrate the entire virtualized cluster, or a cluster node
setup using etherboot over to another machine and avoid the hassles of
disk sync all together (for all but the director nodes). If done as HVM
with 3.0.2, you can do some really neat dynamic scaling as well.
Problems with this - bridging gets to be a nightmare, and dom-0 needs to
be a little 'fatter' than usual.

To my knowledge, nobody has ported the Xen/SSI paravirtualized kernel
over to 3.0.2, however I could be wrong. I'm also pretty sure the
whitebox flavor of SSI was never ported to Xen, but again, I could be
wrong.

I know it sounds a little convoluted and complex, but it does solve a
bunch of problems regarding this.

HTH
-Tim