Re: [Xen-users] iSCSI target - run in Dom0 or DomU?

To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] iSCSI target - run in Dom0 or DomU?
From: Thomas Harold <tgh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 08:50:46 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 05:52:00 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Javier Guerra wrote:
On Thursday 24 August 2006 7:10 am, Thomas Harold wrote:
My plan for the disks is to lay software RAID over the disks (RAID1 for
the first pair, RAID10 for the second set of 6 disks).  Then lay LVM on
top of mdadm's software RAID before handing it off to iscsitarget to be
divided up for use by the iSCSI initiators.

do you plan to export the LVs over iSCSI? i would advise to export the PVs (/dev/mdX), and do CVLM on dom0 of the iSCSI initiators. that way, you could add more storage boxes (with more PVs) to the same VG

Not sure yet. The goal is to have a Xen setup where we can move DomUs between multiple head boxes on-the-fly. Having a SAN should make this easier to do (if I've read correctly).

And phase2 of the test project would be to have two, identically configured (roughly), SAN units that are either mirrored or fault-tolerant so that the Xen DomUs can keep running even if one of the two SAN units is down. That also includes having 2 physical switches, multiple NICs bonded together (probably 2 bonded pairs, one for each switch) and multiple cables going to the switches (both for fault-tolerance and expanded bandwidth).

At least, that's the plan... the devil is in the details.

(Needless to say, I have a good bit of reading left to do. We're just trying to move away from the situation where if box X is down, services A/B/C are offline until it comes back up. Xen + SAN seems to make the most sense given our low-end requirements.)