Re: [Xen-users] How many nics in domU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How many nics in domU
From: Andrew Ross <aross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 12:50:41 +1000
Cc: Robert Smol <eagtstools@xxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 19:51:30 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andrew Ross wrote:

> The maximum number of virtual network interfaces you can create for each
> domU is 3

> I seem to recall reading somewhere that this was because a static
> structure is used, instead of one which can be dynamically grown. I'm
> afraid I can't remember why I got that idea from, though.

Just found this at
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-07/msg00424.html

"We need to add a hypercall to xen to allow a guest to extend the size
 of it's grant table. This should be straightforward, but in its
 current absence is the restriction which leads to the current ``max 3
 VIF's per guest'' limit. Actually, this restriction could also be
 solved by making the allocation of grant table entries to a VIF
 dynamic, as already happens with the blkfront driver. We should
 implement both strategies forthwith."

It isn't the original source of my information, but does confirm it.

Cheers

Andrew