Re: [Xen-users] How many nics in domU

To: Robert Smol <eagtstools@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How many nics in domU
From: Andrew Ross <aross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 12:44:08 +1000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 19:45:00 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Robert Smol wrote:

> how many VIF can I create in domU?

> I could not find any related info in documentation.
> Any hint would be great.

The maximum number of virtual network interfaces you can create for each
domU is 3 - this is clearly stated at
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenFaq

I seem to recall reading somewhere that this was because a static
structure is used, instead of one which can be dynamically grown. I'm
afraid I can't remember why I got that idea from, though.

The workaround for most people appears to be adding additional network
cards to the physical machine and making them available directly to the
domUs in question (using pichide, as recently discussed on this mailling
list).

Cheers

Andrew