Re: [Xen-users] Xen to Desktop/Workstation questions

Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen to Desktop/Workstation questions
From: "Alexandre Miguel Pedro Gomes" <alexmipego@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 17:10:50 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 09:11:30 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I only had read this part, and misunderstud the next few lines:

"Xen currently runs on the x86 architecture, requiring a ``P6'' or newer processor (e.g. Pentium Pro, Celeron, Pentium II, Pentium III, Pentium IV, Xeon, AMD Athlon, AMD Duron). Multiprocessor machines are supported, and there is support for HyperThreading (SMT). In addition, ports to IA64 and Power architectures are in progress." - Xen Manual

I believe Windows had, and still has, something called Hardware Profiles, couldn't that be used to smooth this "hardware" changes?

Related to 3D, Xen Manual "What's New" says "AGP/DRM graphics" but I couldn't find any other reference to either AGP or DRM in the Manual - isn't this supposed to enable some acceleration? I would not be bothered if I only could get 3D acceleration at one OS (Windows).

At last, is there any Virtualization product either free or commercial that can provide me all this?

On 7/3/06, Petersson, Mats < Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

Simple answer is NO, you can't run 3D accellerated anything under Xen,
because the way that graphics cards (except really REALLY old ones) work
means that driver needs to know the actual physical address in memory,
which is "lied" about to the OS in HVM guests...

> > Can I "tri"-boot one of the OSes, that is, run a guest
> under Xen then
> > reboot and run that same OS without Xen?
>
> Probably. (sorry - ask a general question, get a general answer ;-)

As Jerry said, probably: As long as the OS lives in a partition rather
than a file, yes, it would be possible... But some PnP-OS's get a bit[1]
confused when the modern IDE controller suddenly gets replaced with a
pretty basic old-style one (QEMU IDE) after reboot, at may not even work
correctly under those circumstances... Same with graphics cards that
appear/disappear depending on which way you boot the system, not always
handled OK [although since the graphics card isn't immediately needed
for the actual boot, more likely to work].

[1] Some OS's go a bit beyond "a bit" on the confused scale, more like
completely and outright confounded under these circumstances... Win98
does not like having the main chipset replaced under it's feet, for
example - it just plain stops working if the new chipset isn't nearly
identical to the old one - unless you set some particular value in the
registry just before shutting down to say "Please use basic components,
I've just changed everything - rescan PnP components on boot", which is
slow and easy to forget... ;-)

--
Mats

> jerry