Re: [Xen-users] Xen w/ IntelVT->Windows Success Report

To: Sachiko Yoshihama <sachiko.yoshihama@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen w/ IntelVT->Windows Success Report
From: Michael Walker <Michael.Walker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:34:15 -0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:35:30 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sachiko Yoshihama wrote:

Did you choose "Standard PC"?

yes

Did you try 2.6.17-1.2139_FC5xen0  as well?

yes - I did try the FC5 version of Xen first.  The problem
I had was the whole system would reboot (Domain0 & GuestDomain).

It wasn't until I went to xen-unstable that I could get a
working system.  I've not yet tried 'xen-testing' - that's
something I should put on my todo list.....

Good luck,
  _Mike_

Best Regards,
Sachiko

6) "Setup is Starting Windows" - install hangs

  This one got me for a long time.  I think the problem only
  occurs on system which have more then 4(maybe 8) cpus - so
  not everyone is seeing it.  The WindowsXP install starts,
  we get the 'BlueScreen' and some nice messages as hardware
  is probed out.  Then the install just hangs with the last
  message displayed in the bottom corner of:

     Setup is Starting Windows

  I was stuck here for a few days - until the following snippet
  was posted to the xen-devel alias to help me past this point:

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-06/msg00208.html

   In that posting is the following little tidbit:

    > After passing the 1st screen of windows setup of install XP,
    > the first
    > thing you'll see at the bottom of the screen is the option to
    > press F6
    > if you need to install a SCSI or RAID controller. Don't press
    > F6. Press
    > F5 instead. This will take you to a separate menu of Hardware
    > Abstraction Layer's where you can choose an appropriate HAL
    > .The choices
    > are:
    >
    > ACPI Multiprocessor PC
    > ACPI Uniprocessor PC
    > Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
    > Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible PC
    > MPS Uniprocessor PC
    > MPS Multiprocessor PC
    > Standard PC
    > Standard PC with C-Step i486
    > Other
    >
    > Select "Standard PC". This will allow the installation to
    > complete in
    > about 20 minutes.

   So - 'press F5' when it says 'press F6'.  Whooda thunk