Re: [Xen-users] amd64 dom0 with 32bits guest OS

To: François Levasseur <francois.levasseur@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] amd64 dom0 with 32bits guest OS
From: Eric Windisch <lists@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 12:13:15 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 09:17:35 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

dom0: Debian Sarge x86-64
domU: Debian Sarge 3.1

You cannot use a 32-bit DomU kernel with a 64-bit Dom0, but you can use a 32-bit DomU userspace, which in many cases is just as good. I believe there are some caveats, however. The biggest caveat, I'm aware of, is that some programs/scripts ("./configure" particularly) may detect the 64-bit processor. Remember, /proc will still think you're 64-bit :-)

This has been throughly discussed on this list before, the archives probably have a wealth of additional information.

--
Eric Windisch