Re: [Xen-users] Safe partitioning for XEN?

To: CS - Ronald Wiplinger <ronald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Safe partitioning for XEN?
From: Eric Windisch <lists@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 12:08:18 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 09:14:54 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

3 G for swap
1 G for Linux XEN
20 G for /
190 G for /home

Any comments on that?
I disagree with it. I believe most others here will agree with me when I say that LVM is the way to go. It might require some more effort than setting up file-backed domains, but I think you might be seeing why file-backed domains aren't so great -- they're neat if you just want to see if the technology works, but not neat if you really plan to *use* it. Regardless, with modern processors, I recommend everyone use LVM, Xen or not.

The advantages of using LVM are:
1. Speed - Xen is faster with block devices than file-backed devices.
2. Stability - Some will argue that block devices are more reliable. At least I think so.
3. Scalability - You can seamlessly add storage if you ever need to.

LVM will let you create and drop partitions without regard for their order in the partition table, as you would have to worry about with "DOS partitioning". You can extend your partitions as you drop domains or add capacity.

I recommend the following configuration:

1. Create two partitions:
a. 4G for Linux Xen (less would be possible, but since it isn't LVM, it isn't easy to change later..)
b. [remaining] for LVM
2. Install your Dom0 distribution into the 4G partition.
3. From within the Dom0 partition:
a. Create a VolumeGroup under the LVM partition, name it anything you want (XenDomains for example) - Create a 3G LogicalVolume "swp00" within XenDomains, run "mkswap" against it. - Create a 3G LogicalVolume "swp01" within XenDomains, run "mkswap" against it. - Create a 20G LogicalVolume "dom01" within XenDomains, run "mkext3" against it - Create a reasonably sized "/home" for your dom01, if you wish, but leave room for
   additional domains.
4. Run in dom0, 'swapon /dev/XenDomains/swp00' -- also add it to /etc/fstab.
5. Bootstrap/install your DomU onto /dev/XenDomains/dom01, use /dev/XenDomains/swp01 for the domain's swap. There are tutorials on the web that should fill in the rest...
6. Start your DomU.

--
Eric Windisch