Re: [Xen-users] No dom0/domU ping "out of the box"

To: <pwolfe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] No dom0/domU ping "out of the box"
From: "Colin Brown" <brownc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:37:00 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:30:38 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Patrick,

Thanks for responding.

Just double-checked: I am using (network-script 'network-bridge')

Oops, I reported only the up interfaces (ifconfig without -a).  With
ifconfig -a, I do see the 8 vif0.? and 8 veth? interfaces -- all are
down.  But no sign of peth0, the new name for the physical interface.

Since my original post, I discovered in the xend-debug.log a message at
the top:
  ifdown: interface eth0 not configured
  SIOCSIFNAME: Device or resource busy
But it appears in the script that failure of ifdown is expected since
there is an alternative path when that occurs.

Colin

Colin William Brown (Bill)
Visiting Professor -- Computer Science
Franklin University

brownc@xxxxxxxxxxxx
1-614-341-6218
On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 12:23 -0500, Colin Brown wrote:
> On dom0, ifconfig reports presence of eth0, lo, vif4.0 and xenbr0.  I
> see no signs of the peth0 or vif0.0 interfaces mentioned in the
> XenNetworking wiki article.  A brctl on xenbr0 reveals only one
> interface on xenbr0 (vif4.0).  So, what happened to peth0 and vif0.0?
> How do I investigate further?

You SHOULD see eight vif0.# interfaces and eight veth# interfaces when
you run "ifconfig -a".  If you're not seeing them, then I'm betting you
configured /boot/grub/menu.lst to pass "loopback.nloopbacks=0" to the
dom0 kernel?  Don't do that.  You need at least 1 loopback in dom0 for
the network-bridge script to do it's magic.

The other possibility is that you didn't configure xend-config.sxp with:

        (network-script 'network-bridge')

You'll need that if you want your system to look like the wiki docs.

--
Patrick Wolfe  (pwolfe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)