Re: [Xen-users] xen on amd64 or intel

To: Erik Tews <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen on amd64 or intel
From: Daniel Goertzen <goertzen@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 08:23:17 -0600
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 14:24:10 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The virtualization hardware only helps you when you have OSes that are not Xen aware. Since you say you just want to run linux, the vanderpool and pacifica extensions will do nothing for you. Also (someone correct me if I'm wrong), Xen aware linux is faster than fully virtualized linux.

As for 32 bit vs 64 bit kernels, you generally cannot mix both on the same physical hardware. Vanderpool/Pacifica allows you to break this.

Cheers,
Dan.
(This email brought to you by a domU mailserver passing through a domU firewall)

Erik Tews wrote:

Hi

We would like to buy a new server-hardware for a xen-server. We are
going to run linux as dom0 and domU. The whole server will have 4 GB of
main memory. Do you got any suggestions if it is better to buy an
opteron (amd64) cpu, or an intel (ia32) cpu? A opteron is much better,
if you need more than 2 gb in the userspace, but intel has
virtualization build into hardware.

We currently tend to buy and amd64, has somebody an amd64 system
running, with i386 and amd64 domU systems mixed, or does know if it is
possible and/or stable? Is an intel cpu much faster when using
vanderpool, then an amd64 running in 32 bit mode without any special
hardware support?