Re: [Xen-users] basic understanding of xm migrate

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] basic understanding of xm migrate
From: Michael Mey <michael.mey@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 19:09:56 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 18:10:25 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Mathias,

this topic has been discussed a lot in this list. Please refer to the thread
called "Xen and iSCSI". Hope that your questions will be answered :)

Regards,
Michael

On Thursday 02 March 2006 19:13, Mathias Diehl wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> now, that I got some basic understanding how to setup a propper xen
> networking I would like to get closer to the "xm migrate" feature.
>
> Refering to the Wiki (connection refused error from twisted referring to
> port 111) it seem not possible at all (at least for me and for the moment)
> as I use debian sarge with xen2.0.7 .
>
> However, some questions to get closer to the matter:
>
> Does this issue refere to xen3 or also to xen2.0.7?
>
> What would be a propper aproach to store the virtual domains? Actually I
> use LVM for my domU's and their swap. No I don't really understand yet
> what's happening when migrating a domain. As the lvm can't be moved (I
> guess) is migration with lvm possible at all? On the other hand, if I use
> file-baked domU's, will the entiere fiile be transfered? Seem's quite
> unlikely when thinking about domU's with som G of size... So, better to use
> NFS and store the images somewhere centralised?
>
> Hmmm...
>
> Any ideas how to handle that issue? I'm pretty sure there are people around
> handling masses of virtual servers and moving them around.

Michael Mey
Thinking Objects Software GmbH    |   mailto: michael.mey@xxxxxx
Lilienthalstrasse 2/1             |   phone: +49 711 88770-147
70825 Stuttgart-Korntal, Germany  |   fax: +49 711 88770-449