[Xen-users] Re: a performance question

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: a performance question
From: Chris Fanning <christopher.fanning@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 17:04:37 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 16:12:49 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I have a performance question. For example.
> vi /etc/hosts (or any other file)
> will take about five seconds to open the first time I use 'vi', but
> after that it opens files as fast as expected.

after reading the xen3 user manual again, it is suggested that high
I/O apps on a file image may not work too well.

I don't really consider opening a file with vi to be very disk
intensive, but I've moved the domu installation off the img file onto
a lvm disk just to see.
- No real improvement.
So I threw more ram at both dom0 and domU.
Now I'm wating 3 seconds instead of 5.

What sort of reults should I be expecting?
I'm using a AMD XP 2000+ cpu @ 1658 MHz and 256KB cache
I've got a total of 512MB of ram
The disk is IDE.

Thanks