RE: Using the -xen kernel rather than -xen0/U was [Xen-users] Poorhard d

To: "Andy Smith" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Using the -xen kernel rather than -xen0/U was [Xen-users] Poorhard disk performance on xen-3/dom0
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 22:34:34 -0000
Cc: ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 22:39:21 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 > On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 12:33:46PM -0800, David H wrote:
> > >users really should be using the -xen kernel rather than -xen0/U.
> >
> > This is very good advice, and easy to follow.  If you are
> building Xen
> > for testing or production use the "xen" kenel.  It is much
> more like
> > the kenel in most distributions, everything compiled as a module.
>
> I really hope this will not become enforced so much that it's
> the only way to do things as personally I detest initrds and
> only use kernels compiled with exactly the drivers I want.

People will always have the option to configure their own kernels, but a
good proportion of the traffic on the list is down to people botching
their homebrew config.  Granted, we take a lot of the blame for not
hacking Kconfig to grey out options that we know don't work [NB: the
'subarch xen' tree is already much better in this respect], but I wish
people would say that they'd modified the config when reporting
problems.

I'm not a big fan of initrd's, but if you use the RPMs then this is
mostly handled for you. For most users, -xen kernels are the way to go.

Ian