Re: [Xen-users] apparently random lockups

To: Daniel Goertzen <daniel.goertzen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] apparently random lockups
From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 15:00:14 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 20:01:36 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Daniel Goertzen wrote:
Bug 1: dual mounting an LVM partition creates excessively high load
averages in a domU
instance.  By dual mounting I mean mounting the partition in dom0 as well
as one domU instance.

I note that you didn't say which filesystem you are using or wether they are
mounted ro or rw.  For most filesystems, you can only multi-mount them if
all the mounts are read-only.  If you want to mount read-write, then the
partition can only be mounted once.  Some of the weird filesystem issues you
mentioned in your first email might be explained by multiple rw mounts.
Also, perhaps the rising load average is your filesystem driver trying to
deal with the corrupted partition.

didn't really matter. reiserfs and ext3 both seem to fail the same way. They were both mounted read/write and they only accelerated a failure apparently.

I just had my mail virtual machine with a growing load average lockup yet again. I was logged in when this happened and discovered that you can't shut down such a machine. You can only destroy it. As for corrupted partitions, I've been checking them out with fsck and they are fine.

at this point, I'm going to scrap xen for the time being and go back to something stable like a 1995 architecture for virtual domains. I really love the concept of xen and when it works it's wonderful but fo the past couple of weeks I've gone through hell try to keep a small-scale set of services running and it's just not worth it anymore. I really need to be able to sleep at night and not wake up to toasted machines yet again.

I am going to keep playing with it from time to time as I wait for it to become mature enough to be what I consider trustworthy. I guess that'll be about the time that virtual machine friendly chips show up in laptops. :-)

thanks for all the help and best of luck to the xen team.

--- eric