[Xen-users] apparently random lockups

To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] apparently random lockups
From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 09:14:50 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 14:16:06 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm using xen unstable taken from hg repository a couple of days before 3.0 release (how's that for timing).

I've been struggling with a series of random lockups on a domU I'm using as a mailserver. the initial problems were that any significant activity either on the mail server or the IMAP server would cause the domU to go dead with absolute no information in the log files or console.

At first it appeared to something filesystem related so I converted everything to ext3. then I discovered that if I had accidentally left the domU /home filesystem mounted, the load average on the domU machine would climb very rapidly.

making sure everything is clean, setting the virtual CPUs down to one, upgrading allocated memory to 256 MB, things seemed okay after exercising the system fairly heavily with a recursive grep through a large set of files.

then the problems with e-mail access causing lockups started up again. coincidentally, e-mail in the inbox has vanished from view while still remaining in the filesystem. This may or may not be related but it's another data point.

quite frankly, I at my wits end.  any ideas?

---eric