[Xen-users] FreeBSD 5.3 as DomU - new kernel with sysinstall embedded

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] FreeBSD 5.3 as DomU - new kernel with sysinstall embedded
From: Chris Brookes <cbrookes@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 20:59:34 -0600
Cc: Kip Macy <kip.macy@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 02:59:41 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 16/11/05, Kip Macy <kip.macy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The way the initial memory space gets setup there is no way MFS could work.
> It wasn't an anticipated use. I guess somewhere either in FreeBSD GNATS or
> xen's bugzilla there should be i386-xen FreeBSD bugs filed for me to track.

I intend to file a bug report sooner or later, but in the meantime I
decided to toy around with the kernel and the mfsroot from
5.3-release, and I did eventually come up with something suitable. By
a combination of stripping down both the DOMU kernel and the
sysinstall floppy, I managed to get the pair together in a size that
works and doesn't caush an immediate crash under Xen.  I've FTP
installed 10 different guests with it now :-)

Details and the files are at http://txrx.org/xen/

Regards

Chris