Re: [Xen-users] any Install howto for FreeBSD as domU with netbsd as dom

To: Chris Brookes <cbrookes@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] any Install howto for FreeBSD as domU with netbsd as dom0?
From: Kip Macy <kip.macy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 09:30:11 -0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:31:16 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The way the initial memory space gets setup there is no way MFS could work. It wasn't an anticipated use. I guess somewhere either in FreeBSD GNATS or xen's bugzilla there should be i386-xen FreeBSD bugs filed for me to track.

    -Kip

On 11/14/05, Chris Brookes <cbrookes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 13/11/05, Rainer Brinkmöller <rainer.brinkmoeller@xxxxxx> wrote:

> (http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/xen/howto.html )? Is there a special FreeBSD
> kernel (like freebsd-domU and freebsd-instll)

I have been trying to build a freebsd53-domu-install image, so far
without much luck. I took the boot.flp from FreeBSD5.3-RELEASE ,
mounted it, and took out the mfsroot.gz file, which I unzipped.

I first built a FreeBSD 5.3 kernel using Kip's instructions, which
managed to spring to life as a DOMU with no issues, both obviously it
wouldn't boot or do much beyond print device info.

Next, I compiled a new kernel with MD_ROOT_SIZE and MD_ROOT set, and
then used the instructions here:
( http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=4169710+0+archive/2005/freebsd-questions/20050327.freebsd-questions)

... to try and embed my mfsroot in to the kernel. This worked fine,
well, the root file went in to the kernel anyway. When booting the
newly create image (using
"vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:md0,boot_verbose=yes" on the command line) ..
the domain crashes immediately and I get no output. Both my Xen and
FreeBSD knowledge are a bit light at this time, so I didn't go much
further with this yet.

I also discovered this document:
http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200211/monolithic-kernel.html, describing
how to link a root file system in to a compiled kernel. I read through
the simple patch that modifies sys/md/md.c and a couple of other
things, and it looked easy enough, so I manually applied the patch to
the 5.3 xen kernel source, and followed the instructions. I ended up
with another kernel + root image that looked good, but again it
wouldn't boot as a domU, and blew up without printing any console
messages (that I could see when I launched it with xm create)

Has anyone else done this already, or am I trying to do something
that's just not possible?

Regards

Chris