SMP does not work as expected - was: Re: [Xen-users] Checking for SMP us

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: SMP does not work as expected - was: Re: [Xen-users] Checking for SMP usage in xen stable
From: "Dirk H. Schulz" <dirk.schulz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 08:16:08 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 07:16:21 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi folks,

I looked somewhat deeper into the smp issue with Xen 2.0.7. I found that smp is used even on machines with only one processor.

This is xm list on an IBM x335, a dual processor board with one processor:

Name Id Mem(MB) CPU State Time(s) Console Domain-0 0 123 0 r---- 59931.7 webdynown01 5 511 1 -b--- 193.5 9605 webstatown01 1 255 0 -b--- 202.9 9601

I have configured CPU usage in the domU's config files. So two of one CPUs are used, it seems.

This is xm list on a single processor machine:

Name Id Mem(MB) CPU State Time(s) Console Domain-0 0 123 0 r---- 5567.2 sync01 2 95 0 -b--- 1.8 9602

So it seems that on dual processor boards smp is somehow simulated if there is just one processor present.

Is this a bug, or does it make sense somehow?

And now my original question comes up again: How can I - reliably - verify that my xen kernel is running smp code?

Dirk