Re: [Xen-users] Multiple Domains Sharing Root System

To: nigel.head@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Multiple Domains Sharing Root System
From: Nicholas Lee <emptysands@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:55:10 +1200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 06:52:57 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 9/20/05, Nigel Head <nigel.head@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  1) Assume disk space is cheapish but "keep things up to date" admin effort
> is expensive (my problem, at any rate)
>
> 2) Make completely independent filesystems for each domU

This is what I think as well. Especially since in most cases 1Gb is
often more that sufficient for simple domains.  That said, having the
filesystems for data independent is very useful. OCFS2 or the new Xen
filesystem probably be good here.

At the moment I've used NFS mostly for this, or in some cases just
more lvm-device mount points around by changing configs and
restarting.  NFS is not the best solution of single machine Xen based
setups, has some performance issues I haven't been able to find the
time to track down.

>  3) Use cfengine (www.cfengine.org) to propagate changes and updates ....
>
>  Concerning 3 this might be an opportune moment to ask if anyone has
> experience of cfengine? On paper it looks like a rather neat solution to the
> problem it's trying to address.

I figure this as well. Of course being able to generalise the unknown
aspect of your sysadmin muscles in your head to some config language
is another story. :)

--
Nicholas Lee
http://stateless.geek.nz