Re: [Xen-users] Multiple Domains Sharing Root System

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, chris@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Multiple Domains Sharing Root System
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 01:45:51 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 00:41:59 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> * ...NFS exporting a read-only copy of /usr.  This is usually your largest
> partition where most updates occur.  Well-written programs will not require
> /usr be mounted read-write and you should be able to export at least that
> partition.  You can do updates very quickly.  This is the direction I want
> to go.

You could also read-only share a block device for /usr between all domains.
This gives good performance and you still only have one image of the
filesystem.  The trouble is that with block-level sharing you can't update
the filesystem whilst there are more than one domains accessing it :-(

I used to do this, now I just have multiple complete installs.

There are a number of people here working on other solutions for filesystem
sharing that may be better in some circumstances.

Cheers,
Mark